Monday, June 18, 2007

Wrong Side Of The Bed

Another morning with the sound of crying sliding under the door, and creeping in to my weary ears. Den and I tried to see if Roman would just go back to sleep, but he wouldn't, he was ready to be held and comforted. When we looked at the clock we realized it was 5am, and so Den had to get up anyway. He went into the closet to grab the baby that had his hands outwardly extended towards him. I could see that Den melted when he brought him back into our room, but I felt overly tired, and I wasn't thrilled that he had decided to wake us so early again.

Roman had wrapped his little legs tightly around Den's waist. It was his way of saying, "Don't let me go." Den chuckled at it. Den began to make excuses for him like maybe he was hungry or something, and I immediately felt a little defensive. I found it irritating that he was feeling sorry for Roman and wanted to excuse it by hunger. I assured him that he had been fed properly the night before. Then I began to contemplate about Roman's schedule from Sunday. It has been off by the 3pm meeting time, and this may be why we are getting the early morning outbursts on Monday mornings now.

I reached my arms out to Roman, and Den placed him in the bed beside me. I quickly tried to entice him with my warm blanket and body, but he wanted nothing to do with it. Den gave me a sideways glance as if to say, "Just get up with him." I sat there, groggy, and wanted to complain openly about it, but then it occurred to me that this was MY work. Just like Den was required to get up at 5am, no matter how tired he was. His labor couldn't be passed off to me, and therefore this was mine, not to be passed off to him.

I tried to change my attitude. I quickly went downstairs, warmed up some baby food, grabbed a sippy of water, and sat on the couch with Roman. He was happy, which comforted and inspired me that this was a joy and should be looked at accordingly. He was all smiles when I put on Dora the Explorer. He snuggled his tiny back into me as I fed him one spoonful after another, and he contentedly watched the action on the tv that was playing low. I flipped on the gas fireplace to warm up the cold morning room. Barely able to keep my eyes open I laid down beside him after the baby food was gone, and he snuggled his little head beside mine as he quietly, contentedly watched the show. Den was right, he had been hungry....*smiling*.

Den walked in to say goodbye, and I thought about how important it is to see each other do our labor with good hearts, and with little or no complaint. I am lucky to have my five children. Gale from Life's Little Moments left a comment on my sister's blog, that said that someone had used their children as an excuse as to why they weren't able to do this or that, and the person she was complaining to said, "What if that excuse was taken away?" When I read those words they rang true in my ear this morning. I thought that I am LUCKY to have a baby, and the children that I have. Even though it's hard to always do things with a cheerful heart, it is so important to be thankful and appreciative of our blessings, and to be willing to do the labor that goes along with the upkeep of such beautiful gifts. For I would never want them to be taken away.

25 comments:

Angel said...

"He went into the closet to grab the baby..." That still makes me chuckle! ;-) So much of your post rings true with me, I only work outside of the home, on average, 2 mornings a week, while Dh works full time. Like you, I see my home and my children as *my* job. Like your Dh, he is up at 5 am as well, usually travels 2 hours to the job site, is gone most of the daylight hours, and the 2 hour drive home. He puts in long hard hours of physical work. And to be honest, I'd much rather remain in the comfort of my home caring for my children, than the physical labor he does. That is the least I can do for him! Of course, Sam has a way of melting Paul's heart just as Roman does Den's...those little ones have a way of wrapping dad right around their finger, don't they? :D

Trina said...

Angel: The closet thing makes me smile when I type it too...hehehe I had put his playnpack back in his room, but he loved the dark closet, so back he went...LOL

I agree with you about the fact that I wouldn't switch them jobs. Life is good this way!

Trina said...

So I just wanted to let everyone know like Connie and Dayna that I just discovered your comments from earlier. Thanks for dropping me a line, it is always fun to hear from everyone. I have figured out a way to be alerted when someone leaves me a comment on an old post, and will be able to respond to them now. I don't know why I didn't do this earlier...doh! hehehe

meNmykids said...

Beautiful post. I am often somewhat resentful of interrupted sleep. I love my job, wouldn't trade it for the world, yet sometimes I drag just a bit. Sure want all of my observers to see me doing my job. And doing it cheerfully.

Lori said...

You keep your baby in a closet!?! JUST KIDDING!! I know the story but it still makes me smile whenever I read it!

Don't be too hard on yourself - everyone likes their sleep!! Anyone who reads your blog knows what an awesome mom you are, and how much you appreciate your family. That shines through on every post!!

Someone said in a post once I read that she was tired of people saying to her "boy you have your hands full". (I bet you've never heard that - ha!) she was asking readers for a quick response to that and this one has stuck in my mind, "Better to have my hands full than empty!"

Trina said...

Gale: Yes, I want to be a good example to my boys too, although sometimes I could do better!

Lori: I know the closet thing is sort of hard for me to type but its the honest to goodness truth...he is in the CLOSET...a little Harry Potterish sounding...hahaha Thanks for the sweet words too!!

Mrs.Martin said...

Enjoyed reading your post Sis. It really is a change of perspective that keeps laboring for our family cheerful, instead of irritating. Our children and husbands are our biggest job, then His people.

I love having a baby again, even with all the parties to plan for and smelling like sour milk, when meeting new people.

Anonymous said...

Trina, hey, thanks for visiting me. You're in Oregon?? Very cool. I'm in Central Oregon, how about you?

Your boys are soooo handsome. I haven't read much over here yet, but this looks like a fun place! I also have a Levi, by the way. :-)

Trina said...

Sis: You always have your act together, so you smell a little like sour milk once in a while....which I HIGHLY doubt! hehehe

Jennifer: It was fun visiting your site! You have a great looking family toooooooo. I didn't know you had a Levi when reading at your blog. Great minds think alike! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh.. I know this types of mornings well! Sometimes I just lay there hoping that Benjamin or Alex will just fall back asleep for 3 hours! :)
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

Anonymous said...

My daughter, Jenn in Montana, told me to check out your site. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your blogs and getting to "know" your family a bit. My kids are 24 and 21 now so I don't have the day to day stuff to deal with but I can still relate to some of the stories you've told. You sound like an awesome mom and I'm glad Jennifer told me about your site. God bless you as you keep up with your five boys.

Trina said...

Audrey: Im glad that others have weak moments too...3 hours would be awesome, wouldn't it?!!hehehe

Maridee: Im so glad that you have stopped by. Im sure that you can relate to my stories. It wont be long before some of my boys are out of the nest too. Life keeps changing! Thank you for the well wishes and I want to send them right back to you!

Anonymous said...

And isn't it amazing that still the thought of the possibility of "another" wee alarm clock causes us to tremble? Oh that we would love on these babies in every moment we are gifted with, even in the watches in the night. God give us Your strength, because I know we (or at least "I"!) get very tired!

Pressing on,
Keri

Trina said...

Keri: Beautiful thought and prayer. Sometimes its good to be reminded though.

la bellina mammina said...

Thanks for this lovey post - thank you for the reminder of how lucky we are...

Angel said...

OK..I'm ROFL Harry Potterish? ROFL I didn't even think of that, but now I'm going to! LOL!

Ahhh, thatnks for the chuckle this morning! :D

Trina said...

labellina: Your post about the missing girl was heart wrenching..but it puts our lives in perspective doesn't it?

Angel: I know...rofl...you are very welcome!!!

Unknown said...

Once again, I should have read your blog before I went to bed last night! This was me this morning, except I was rather vocal about how much I was annoyed with being woken up earlier than I wanted to be.
However I would NEVER want it to be taken away from me. Thank you so much for the reminder, I really needed it today, you have no idea how much! :muah:

Trina said...

Jenn: I have had my days of complaining, and in fact without my reminder from Gale I would have been more OPEN about it too. It's good that we ALL help each other think about our blessings. It wont be very long before baby #2 is here for you....yahoo!

Anonymous said...

Trina,
Hi! My name is Jen. I have been reading your writings for a long time now. (I usually gear time based on which child I was pregnant for or nursing at the time.) (hehe)
Your recent comments really hit home with me-enough to make this my first post!
In an instant-everything can be taken away. I know people who have lost their children in a fire, or in a car accident, to cancer...etc. The one thing that they say over and over, is that it is the normal every day things they miss the most. Cuddles before dawn...the children running into their beds because they are scared, their laughs, even the fighting of sibblings. Basically the small stuff. Scripture says that our attitude and what comes from our mouths shows what is going on in our hearts. Whether we realize it or not, the wife and mother is the one who sets the tone for the home. (And I have tested this-it is true!)
Thank you so much for being transparent; letting all of us see an example of what God can do through any woman who allows God to come in.
P.S. I have all boys as well

Trina said...

Jenb: Thank you so much for posting a comment-what a treat! You are so right, I would miss it ALL! I love my life and my children, and I want to be a good example before them on how to really enjoy it! Nice to meet another mom of all boys...so cool!

Michelle said...

Trina ~ Thanks for this post! I sure needed to read it today. And you stepped on my toes just a bit with this part ~

Just like Den was required to get up at 5am, no matter how tired he was. His labor couldn't be passed off to me, and therefore this was mine, not to be passed off to him.


David has told me more than once~ that he has to get up each morning no matter how tired or what time he went to bed ~ When I complain about how tired I am and wanna sleep in ~
Hugs,
Michelle

Trina said...

Michelle: Trust me....It was a good reminder to me too!

Nan said...

Trina!! I love the new look! I know it's not a total change but it looks really nice!

Trina said...

Nan: Thanks! I love the updated look, and now I can have some fun with more sidebar stuff. Lindsay is so awesome!