Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Grass Is Always Greener, If We're Not Careful



I am REALLY enjoying the city life. If you read back to one of my first posts, describing myself, I made it clear that this was (and is) who I am, at heart. However, when God said move to this small assembly in Washington, we went just as quickly as we did this move. This was a difficult but beautiful gift to me, as I came to accept the wonders of country life with my, (eventual), five sons. I believed that God knew what was best for me, Den, and my sons. As usual, He was right. That home helped me heal spiritually and relationship-wise. I would have never dreamed that God would have given me so many wonderful gifts that would cling to the walls of my heart, as that time has.



The thing that I must be careful with is having the "Grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome. It seems that when I first moved up to my country home I longed for city life and city luxuries. I was comparing things to what I left behind, and as you can imagine it left a hole in my heart. I knew what I was doing to myself, and really it was detrimental to my happiness, in the beginning. However, as time marched on, I began to pray for happiness, acceptance of His will, and peace. He dutifully gave it to me for He is a generous God, and ask and ye shall receive. As soon as I was sure that we would live there for the rest of our lives, and began to see all the beauties of small town life, He called us away again.


There is a famous quote, and I'm sure I don't have it memorized correctly, but it goes something like this, "Happiness comes to those who live for today, and who have a short term memory". Many years ago, when I read it, I thought it was odd. Who wants short term memory? But I can see how that God requires this in us. He wants us to become wiser through our experiences, but not harbor feelings of the wrongs, or the "what could have been". Short term memory means to enjoy more of the things of the here and now, and praise Him for them.


So as Den and I have experienced the large chain Mexican restaurants, we have found ourselves comparing them to what we had before. You know, the moments where you say, "Wow, this isn't as good as such and such place" or "At least there they knew us", and "It was more authentic". However, I want to be careful in this, for this can sew seeds of discontentment in me. Focusing on the what we had, or the what if we had stayed, and not appreciating the beauty and the joys of what the Lord is currently blessing us with.


Not to say, that I don't have an enormous love for that blessed time of my life, and miss the brethren in our last assembly. No, that will never stop for me. They have transformed me into who I am today, and I am forever indebted to that sort of love. In fact, I want to take that experience and pass it on. I want to be that safe haven for those who are weary and broken hearted. I want to give that kind of love to others, as I have been given. I am and will forever be grateful, but in order to give true thanks for that time of my life I have to live for today, and not grieve the what ifs or if things were different. That beautiful scripture rings in my silent mind over and over, "All things work for good unto those that love the Lord". Believe it, trust it, live it, and your life will be full of good.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. It made me remember some of the adjustments I have made in our different homes. I like to look back and be thankful for the uniqueness of all of the places I have lived. I am glad the world is not the same everywhere. Enjoy the west coast rains. I miss them while I am appreciating the beauty of the Oklahoma thunderstorms. We are praying for you. I am sure God will bless your work.
Sylvia

Cherrie said...

You are such a wise woman misss Trina. I enjoyed your post this morning. It is true the grass in always greener on the other side at least until we get to the other side. Then we feel the same way again. It is a never ending cycle if we are not careful. lol

Mrs.Martin said...

You have to stay focused on the here and now, yet remember the blessings of old, to be the new person you are today. If you can hold on to the Lords hand it can be in perfect balance each day. I know how much the brethren meant to you and your boys and the family you had in them. May the Lord bless you again in your new part.

la bellina mammina said...

Beautiful!! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Enjoy your new place!

Steff said...

I am enjoying reading your wonderful faith experience and I know I'm not the only one!

When I felt the call to look for a job so far from my home and family I had those exact thoughts...I won't know anyone, my church won't be the same, the weather will be different, what if I can't find a place to live that is like what I'm used to, etc.

But one day, after a long crying jag and finally having my spirit broken to His will, it was like God's sweet peace came to my heart and said "I'll never lead you to a place that will make you unhappy. Do you trust me to bring only good and prosperous things to your life?" It was a big light bulb going off. I trusted God to direct me and it was scary but deep down I knew that His will would never be for me to go to some place where He wouldn't sustain me.

It sounds like God is blessing your life all over the place!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Trina! I just wanted to let you know that I voted for ya! Woohooo! I hope you are having a great week!
Luv ya,
Leah

marykathryn said...

Well this ole flesh is always wanting more, more, more... You guys have a strong foundation of the faith and the Lord has seen you guys through many times, you guys will do great in your new home, and if it is any consulation..Your grass looks pretyy green to me!!..hehe
Love Ya!!!

Trina said...

Sylvia: It is nice to remember back and see all the good. Its all about keeping things in perspective. Im so glad that you leave comments,what a treat!

Cherrie: It really can be an neverending cycle. Its hard for me to always think about it that way sometimes.

Sis: Yes God was very very good to us there. Im so grateful. I know He will be good to us here, we just have to take it one day at a time.

La bellina: I will come for a visit!

Steff: I can completely understand your comment. Its hard to step out on His promises and to have faith that God cares and that He will watch over and protect us. Good for you. Its even harder when you are single. You are building a beautiful foundation!

Leah: awww thanks Leah for voting for me. You are tooooo sweet, as usual!

Mary: You know I will never forget you!! No short term memory there. The grass does look awful green over here, with all this rain...hehehe Come see me!

meNmykids said...

Great post. I have a problem looking to the trials in the future. I worry about things that haven't even occurred yet, and may never be my trial. Need to enjoy the good that I can find in the here and now. God is truly wonderful, and we can trust him to work for the good of those who love him. Thanks for your encouragement.
Gale

Nadine said...

I enjoy reading your insights on life. You have lots of wisdom mixed in with a well balance of wisdom. May the Lord bless you and your family in this new phase of your lives.

D said...

I just want you to know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog lately and what an encouragement you have been to me in so many ways.
My dh and I have moved a total of 19 times and it looks as thoughwe'll be moving at least once more. I still struggle with a little of "I wish we had this or that here". once in a while! Silly isn't it! Blessings to you in your new home!