Monday, February 04, 2008

We Have No Promise For Tomorrow

I was laying in bed. My eyes were still closed. Den was lying beside me, also lazily sleeping. He put his arm over the top of me, which signaled he was half awake so I rested my hand on his hand. I began to feel of it with my eyes closed. I could feel that it was thicker than mine, it was a bit rough from all the years he labored with them. Even his arm was very familiar to me, although my eyes hadn't stolen a peek. Then I began to think about life, actually, my life with him, and how easily we can take it for granted, it sort of made me sad and grateful all at the same time.

Lately, it seems that there has been a lot of death. This past year we have experienced a lot of dear loved ones passing on. After awhile it begins to hit a little too close to home. You try to brace yourself for the suddenness of it all, just in case it happens to you. Most of the families left behind weren't expecting it, and even the ones that were are still stunned with grief. It makes me question what I would do, how I would get along, the thought makes me uncomfortable, as I know it does for most.

So as I laid there in my soft comfy bed I thanked God for what I had. I know that everyday that my life is still in order I am very fortunate. Everyday that my husband is still lying in bed with me, that all my children are healthy, and slumbering deeply in their beds that I have it easy. It makes the supposed hardships that we endure seem like nothing. It's so simple to become complacent about it all, until it's gone.

We shall see you on the other side Sis. Dawn and Sis. Betha. You will be dearly missed.

6 comments:

Cherrie said...

We have been so blessed with our family's. I thank God for what he had given me and what he has allowed me to keep.

Tiffany said...

I'm so comforted this morning reading your post. I had some of the same thoughts last night. Tears filled my eyes thinking of how our lives can change in just a moment. How much i take for granted and how important it is to saver each moment i have with my beloved husband, family, and brethren. I felt comforted in my spirit thinking about these things because it encourages me to continue to live the faith more soberly and to be a help to my husband in his walk before God as well.

meNmykids said...

The same thoughts have been on my mind. I sure want to use every moment that God gives me with my husband and children and loved ones , because I just don't know how long I'll have. For me or them. Use it.

Sister D said...

Your post touched my heart so much this morning. It's hard sometimes to rejoice in the mercy God has shown my daughter when others are still suffering or have hearts filled with sorrow over the loss of someone so dear and yet I know that if it was Gods time to take her, she would be in a sweeter place than we could ever give her. My hearts prayer is that I don't forget to do just what you said... Reach over, touch my loved ones and humbly thank the Lord for the blessings of today.

Anonymous said...

I haven't commented recently, but I appreciate your posts so much. We had baby #4 on the way and found out last week the Lord had already taken him or her home. After coming home from the hospital today it was a blessing to read your post. I know you have suffered the same, and that the Lord gives and takes away - blessed be His holy Name. I am praying for a safe and healthy delivery of your newest gift. Hugs and prayers

Rosann

Trina said...

Rosann: I am so sorry to hear your news. You have the right mind, but it is so hard to have a happy heart in times like that. I do understand your sorrow. (((HUGS)))Thank you for your prayers on a safe delivery for our baby #6. I appreciate all the prayers and I will remember you in mine.