Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Cup of Joe and a Chat


I got up this morning to start my day and upon walking downstairs I could see River doing his chores. The house was still dark with only the kitchen light on and the ambiance in the room was a little depressing. I could tell that he was weary with the routine, and, immediately, it rubbed off on me. Isaiah had traveled over the mountain pass with Bro. Sean and Sis. Marisela to attend a funeral, also to see a bunch of brethren that would most assuredly be there. We had wanted to go, for we feel like weddings and funerals need to be high on our priority list, but since I am only weeks from giving birth we decided that we should stay put and take it easy. Anyway, having Isaiah gone and having his chores added to the list, for everyone in the house, made the task seem even more overwhelming and daunting.




So, I went in to the living room and asked the boys to join me for a warm little chat. River excitedly declared that he would put on some coffee and that he would join me straight away. Once the coffee was perked, River, Levi and myself sat in the living room with our warm steaming cups in hand. I began to ask them about how things were going. You see we've had company, and it's easy to let a week slide by without really hitting bases with the boys. I was pleased that this opened a flood gate of conversation. We enjoyed a couple cups of coffee as we talked about life. It is amazing how much these boys think about, and how much they plan for in their daily lives. Life is a constant adventure to be tackled for them. It was a complete joy to listen to their opinions and their take on people and situations. I really had to say very little as the conversation flowed steadily. Eventually, we realized how much time had gone by and that we still had chores and schoolwork to get accomplished, but this time as we parted ways to get on with the meager responsibilities, everyone felt differently, maybe even a little lighter in our step. A cup of joe and a little chat goes a long way in setting the tone for the rest of the day.
Attention: Since I am getting some complaints about not being able to leave comments I decided to figure out the problem. I think I have resolved it. Plus, thank you for the emails. I will try to make a post up answering some of the common questions I get. I think that would be a great idea, but its a matter of making the time. So bare with me, but in the meantime I have really enjoyed the private emails. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! nice to see the comments back here. Although I seldom post comments I do enjoy reading them

Love, Den at work

Lori said...

Yay - the comment button is back! :-)

I hope your boys realize how fortunate they are to have a parent that takes the time to sit down and LISTEN to them. And, I hope that I take the time when I have kids. It is so easy to get busy with life and forget how important the little things are and to just slow down!

Anonymous said...

Way to go. I love days like these. And I know the Lord smiles upon them. It's what's really important here. Listening to their hearts while we still can. Blessings!

Jules said...

That's awesome that you were able to sit and enjoy coffee and conversation. I look forward to the day when I can drink coffee with my kids. I'm the only one in my family that drinks coffee (Ryan does occasionally). But I grew up drinking coffee. My dad used to go to the coffee shop THREE times a day, 7 days a week. So to me, coffee is a great thing to have dring conversations :) And it's SO good!