Friday, February 01, 2008

He Hears Us

Our morning routine is to sit down and visit with each other. River and Isaiah were talking about their friends and some of their strong suits and some of their weaknesses in building relationships. It was interesting to hear their take on things. Isaiah had talked about how he had a hard time talking about feelings, and sort of equated it with being like his Dad. I have to smile while typing this because if you know Isaiah at all then you know that he worships and adores his Dad. So I began to share with Isaiah how that his Dad is very sensitive, especially as he has gotten older. I talked to him about a conversation his Dad and I had in the car the other night, and how is Dad got choked about how much he loved his sons. I shared with Isaiah how much I LOVED this about his Dad. Isaiah just smiled, and we moved on to other topics.


That night, after church, Den was sitting on the bed. He had been reading some scripture when Isaiah and I sat down to visit with him. Den began to talk about a brother who wasn't coming to church with us right now, and how much he loved and missed him. As he was sharing his heart with us, his eyes welled up with tears. Den said, "Oh here I go...getting all watery eyed. I need to be better about telling people how much I love and appreciate them." I glanced over at Isaiah to see if he recalled our conversation earlier that morning. Isaiah looked contemplative as he looked at his Dad. I smiled and said, "See Isaiah, your Dad is very sensitive and he has the sweetest heart." Isaiah smiled warmly, and said nothing, but we both knew of our conversation earlier that morning, and knew that the Lord was working.

3 comments:

meNmykids said...

That is so beautiful about Dennis. Our conversations with our children are so uplifting to them and us. I have enjoyed your past posts as well and missed reading them while gone. Especially the mention of why you homeschool, I needed that as I have hit a bit of burn-out. Those are the same reasons that I homeschool, thanks for the reminder.

Lori said...

What a positive influence the boys have in you both! Heartwarming story Trina, thanks for sharing for your family moments with us.

Cherrie said...

I love how my honey has a emotional side to him also. You have some very good talks with your boys I sure hope I can do that.